Saturday, November 24, 2012

Song #14: "Watching The Wheels" by John Lennon


        Another of John Lennon's songs, "Watching The Wheels", is also an example of transcendentalism. The first line that represents the transcendental belief is "People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing, well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin. When I say that I'm okay, they look at me kind of strange, surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game." This is an example of the belief that you can be happier if you remove yourself from all the little petty pressures of life and live simply instead of conforming to what society thinks you should be doing. The other example of these beliefs is "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round, I really love to watch them roll. No longer riding on the merry-go-round, I just had to let it go," and it represents how after someone removes themselves from conformity life can be much better, which is a common transcendental belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment