Saturday, November 24, 2012

Song #15: "Call It What You Want" by Foster the People


        "Call It What You Want" by Foster the People isn't only a great song, but it's also a great example of transcendentalism. The entire song is an attack on conforming to society, and it even has the line "If I don't conform to what you were born into, then you run the other way". An awesome example of this prominent theme is the part of the song where it says "Yeah we're locked up in ideas, we like to label everything. Well I'm just gonna do here what I gotta do here 'cause I gotta keep myself free." It shows the common transcendental belief that we are all so desperate to fit in that we're losing track of what life is really about. Another line that represents that theme perfectly is "And I'm in the crossfire dodging bullets from your expectancies," which essentially proves that it is hard to be an individual and not conform, but transcendentalists would argue that it's well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of great input, but you should seriously consider changing the background so people can read your analyses better.

    ReplyDelete