Saturday, November 24, 2012

Song #30: "I Am What I Am" by Jonas Brothers


        The final song on our list, and quite possibly my favorite, is "I Am What I Am" by Jonas Brothers. This song oozes transcendentalism from every pore. The message is that being yourself is the most important thing, you shouldn't back down from that, and nobody should try to change you, and that is also a major belief of transcendentalists. As the song states, "I am what I am, and nobody else. And if you've got a problem better take it somewhere else because I can't turn back, I'm right on track and if you think you know well then you better check your facts." Thoreau and Emerson would love this song, as it carries the themes they, and other transcendentalists, so often wrote about.

No comments:

Post a Comment